We are looking for a Business Manager to join our passionate and dedicated team. Clean Lakes Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit devoted to improving the water quality of area lakes, streams and wetlands in the Yahara River Watershed. Working closely with government agencies, waterway user groups, local businesses, farmers and riparian owners, our organization serves as a positive voice in promoting our cherished lakes and a fundraising arm for project execution. We envision a future in which everyone views our lakes as the center of the community. To learn more about our work and values, please visit: cleanlakesalliance.org.
This is a full-time (1.0 FTE), benefits-eligible position. The Business Manager will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Executive Director (ED). The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager charged with leading and developing an internal team to support the following areas finance which include; finance, business planning, and budgeting, and operations, which include; human resources, administration, and IT.
The business manager will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as Clean Lakes Alliance continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. The anticipated start date is May 2017.
• Serve as the management liaison to the finance committee; effectively communicate and present financial matters at select Board of Directors and committee meetings as needed.
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaison with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
• Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all program, event and grant financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
• Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
• Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
• Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
• Further develop Clean Lakes Alliance’s human resources and administration capabilities with an emphasis on staff professional development, compensation and benefits, organizational performance, and recruiting.
• Ensure HR processes are consistent and streamlined.
• Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures.
• Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants to address HR areas above.
• Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
• At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience
• Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area.
• Prior human resources experience preferred
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
• A track record in successful grant management
• Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
• Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Clean Lakes Alliance.
Work Environment and Hours
• 40-hour weeks with occasional evening and weekend work that generally corresponds with Clean Lakes Alliance-sponsored events.
• Most work is performed in a small, open office environment, with occasional off-site work during the coordination of fundraising and community-outreach events.
• Job location: Verex Plaza, 150 East Gilman Street, Suite 2600, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.
On bus line and short walk or bike ride from the UW-Madison campus.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including (but not limited to) 12 paid holidays, 15 vacation days (starting), employer-paid life and disability insurance, paid family-leave policy, and 100% employer-matched retirement up to 3% of salary.
Clean Lakes Alliance values diverse life experiences and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Becky Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 31, 2017. Include "Business Manager Application" in the subject header. We will be reviewing applications immediately following the deadline, and hope to begin interviewing a select number of top candidates by the second week in April.
Deadline: Friday, March 31, 2017